Finding that hidden gem of a property that has been untouched for years and breathing new life into can be a very rewarding experience. However, be sure to plan your home renovation and be prepared for the upheaval in advance.
- Current condition - asses the building’s current condition. If necessary commission a surveyor to review your property.
- Design and planning phase - be clear on what you want to achieve. Have your thoughts down on paper, these can be your own drawings or if your budget will stretch and your project requires it an architect can provide clear drawings for your renovation.
- Check for renovation restrictions - is your property a listed building - check here or within a conservation area. If your property falls into either of these restrictions you will need to be mindful of these when planning your renovation as it is possible you will have certain guidelines to adhere to.
- Engage with contractors to carry out your work. The most straight forward route to undertaking a home renovation project is to engage with a company specialising in renovations who will undertake and manage the complete project. This way you do not have to be responsible for locating individual contractors for each part of the job which can be a time consuming and sometimes costly exercise should the process not be managed properly.
- Building regulation approval - check here if you will require approval for your planned renovation project.
- Get the right insurance for your renovation project, it is unlikely that your usual house insurance will cover you for renovating work.
- Cost control - be savvy when setting your budget. Nice to have items such as designer taps or door furniture can always be installed at a later date. It’s important to have a contingency sum, it’s recommended this is 10 to 20% of the overall build budget.
- Is the current building in a fit state for work to begin? Check:
- Structural movement
- Method of construction
- Windows & doors
- Heating system
An experienced building company will be able to provide you with advice and support throughout your house renovation project. At Upright Construction we often find that a house renovation is also coupled with an extension project, click here to view one of our a recent renovation and extension projects. To make your dream home a reality contact us on 01737 245040.
Next: Loft Conversion Staircase Options
Previous: How to live on a building site
Articles By Month